Gimp

Howard Gibson hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 12 01:51:22 UTC 2003

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 23:45:23 -0400
Tom Legrady <legrady-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> As wonderful as the gimp is, I tried to draw a straight line, today.
>

> Is there a simple way to draw a straight line, or do I have to explore
> Perl-gimp? Or do it in PostScript?
>

> Tom

Tom,

   You can draw a straight line easily in Xfig.  If you are creating a drawing that requires some sort of geometric precision and artistic quality, I recommend Xfig.  Xfig dumps straight to the printer.  It can be saved as PostScript.

   Xfig exports to all sorts of bitmap formats which can be read by the GIMP.  There are two general ways to approach this.  Xfig's export program is external, called fig2dev.  This means that an Xfig graphic can be converted for web page use by a Makefile.  An alternate, and better strategy is to make the Xfig file much larger than the final, printed bitmap graphic.  Save it is a PPM or other lossless bitmap format.  Load the file into the GIMP and scale it to the final size.  The GIMP does anti-aliasing, which makes your reduced graphic look much better.

   At this point you play with the GIMP's filters.  I am not an expert on this, yet.

--
Howard Gibson
hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
howard-42qnO8ePF9cV+D8aMU/kSg at public.gmane.org