slow httpd response

Kareem Shehata kareem-d+8TeBu5bOew5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 11 20:18:57 UTC 2003

How are the other services on the system?

I suspect that everything else is okay, but apache is slow.  If so, have
a look at your httpd.conf.  There might be something like a reverse dns
lookup per connection that's slowing it down.

Good luck!

Kareem

On Thu, 2003-09-11 at 15:53, Keith Mastin wrote:

> apache-1.3.27-2 on a redhat-7.3 smp system. Running php, perl on the web
> server.
>
> I'm experiencing really slow httpd responses from my webserver. The
> machine it's self is running smooth and fast. The top portion of top:
>
>  12:23pm  up 135 days,  5:13,  3 users,  load average: 0.01, 0.05, 0.01
> 116 processes: 115 sleeping, 1 running, 0 zombie, 0 stopped
> CPU0 states:  0.3% user,  0.4% system,  0.0% nice, 98.3% idle
> CPU1 states:  0.1% user,  0.1% system,  0.0% nice, 99.3% idle
> Mem:  1289260K av, 1220880K used,   68380K free,       0K shrd,  198116K buff
> Swap: 2096472K av,    1704K used, 2094768K free                  743132K
> cached
>
> Nothing significant is showing in my error or access logs or messages.
> ssh, ftpd, rsync all work smooth and fast. So does mail. But the web
> server has become a dog. Config files all look okay.
>
> The question I have is where to look next? How to track the specific
> process it's crapping out on?
>
> It's a multi-domain system with most user access limited to ftp with
> vsftpd. It's a pretty tight system security-wise, and it's clean.
>
> TIA
>
> --
> Keith Mastin
> BeechTree Information Technology Services Inc.
> Toronto, Canada
> (416)696 6070

      kareem-d+8TeBu5bOew5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org   -   Kareem Shehata   -   416-676-6611
  In the beginning the Universe was created.  This has made a
  lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
    -- Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe