Out of Office Replies

Mike Kallies mgjk-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 11 16:51:15 UTC 2003

James Knott wrote:

> I thought that was a function of the mail server.  A few years ago, I
> worked at a company that used Lotus Notes.  The out of office messages
> were sent only to internal addresses.

I'm subscribed to a Lotus Notes mailing list.  There are always about
5-10 "So-and-so is out of the office... " messages posted every month.

Out of office should _never_ be used outside of the company.

There was a spot on CBC radio a little while back which illustrated the
security problem with these out-of-office messages:  Criminals have been
using these to know the names of people who are away on vacation, they
then look up their addresses in the phonebook and help themselves to the
contents of their homes.

-Mike