Pine and/or Sendmail outgoing mail

Peter L. Peres plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Sat Sep 6 11:49:30 UTC 2003

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003, Herb Richter wrote:
> > Type whereis pine and edit the relevant config file (system-wide). If you
> > are the only user unset the smtp-server option. Then it will allow you to
> > set it in the user's config.
>
> I did try that ...well I tried the line: (in /etc/pine.conf)
> 	smtp-server=smtp.mtag.phub.net.cable.rogers.com
> ...this did have an effect so I know it is the active conf file for pine,
> but the result was the "relaying mail ... not allowed" messages (and no
> mail sent.)
>
> Is there some other parm that needs to be set?

There is more than 1 pine conf file that plays here, and all have to be
set right. Also Pine never relays so the relay message should come from
the smtp server. I just checked this using strings `which pine`|grep
relay. The word occurs only in the help file.

Did you set your domain in Pine to the correct one ? The pine manpage
lists a dozen or so files in the FILES section. Among them
/usr/local/lib/pine.conf.fixed and more. /etc/pine.conf is likely a link
to there. Please look at those files.

For 1-user conf you set most allowed options to unset (commented) in
*.conf and then you can set them in your .pinerc or such.

You can find out what files pine reads and in what order by doing (the
manpage is confusing about this):

(strace pine) 2>pine.strace

then with less view pine.strace and search for pine. In my case it opens:

~/.pinercex
/usr/local/lib/pine.conf
/home/plp/.pinerc

in this order. Good luck,

Peter

PS: if you only use pine as single user or want full config as user,
rename /usr/local/lib/pine.conf to /usr/local/lib/pine.conf.moved.
pinercex need not exist also.