wireless/broadband router recommendations?

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 4 18:44:47 UTC 2003

At 12:10 PM 04/09/2003 -0400, Sidney Shapiro wrote:
> > I've had great success with a Linksys box, but then again I'm using a
> > Linksys card, and never tried it with a mac.  I've done all of the
> > configuration through the web interface, and pretty much tossed the
>CD's
> > unused into the trash (or my pack of unused install crap which is the
> > same thing).
> >
> > Kareem
> >

>I would also recommend the Linksys boxes. I have installed them in
>several offices around the city, and I am quite happy with the interface
>and the performance.
>
>Sid

Hi,

I am interested in one of the 802.11g access points. I have noticed that
access points are often more expensive than routers and they never seem to
go on sale. Can the routers be used as access points? In other words, is it
possible to disable the routing, dhcp, and firewall capabilities of the
routers, such as those from Linksys, D-Link, and SMC and use them strictly
as access points?

I use an old PC running Linux for firewalling, routing, and dchp and have
no  desire to change that. The plan is to add a third NIC to the Linux box,
run IPsec on it so that all wireless communications will be across IPsec
tunnels.

Regards,

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis Corporation