Pine and/or Sendmail outgoing mail

Herb Richter hgr-FjoMob2a1F7QT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 4 16:33:49 UTC 2003

I need to configure pine (and/or sendmail) to deliver outgoing mail to my
ISP's smtp server rather than directly to the recipient's mail server.
(I'm getting tired of having my email to users at aol.com etc being spam
filtered because the mail originates from a dynamic IP)

I've tried setting:

smtp-server              = smtp.mtag.phub.net.cable.rogers.com

in the pine setup-configuration but I get an error message that "relaying
mail to xxxx.com is not allowed".  The message appears very quickly so I
think the problem is local.

I've also tried settings in .pinerc and /etc/pine.conf plus some (guesses)
in /etc/sendmail.cf ...always with the same result.

I can set and use the rogers smtp server in netscape.

I'd prefer a solution that allows local mail to still be delivered
directly and not through rogers' smtp (because rogers is often slow, down
or unavailable).  If not, I could get by if I was still able to configure
the smpt-server on a per-user basis.

TIA for any help or suggestions.

--

        Herb Richter  <hgr-FjoMob2a1F7QT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org>