OpenPGP e-mail signing/encryption question

Chris Keelan rufmetal-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 3 21:37:52 UTC 2003

On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 15:29:44 -0400
Anton Markov <anton-F0u+EriZ6ihBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> A couple of nights ago I decided to look into how to sign/encrypt
> e-mails.  I figured out the Enigmail stuff, and got it installed and
> working fine with Mozilla Thunderbird (a great e-mail reader by the
> way).  I just have two questions:

This two-part article is a good introduction:

<http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=4828>

and

<http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=4892>

> Should I use the same key for encrypting and signing messages, or am I
> suppose to generate different ones for each purpose?  From what I
> understand (this is my first time looking into this issue) I give out my
> public key in order to receive encrypted messages.

> However, I have to  give out my private key in order to sign messages or something.

You *never* give out your private key. You do use your private key to
sign a message.

> This  doesn't make sense to me (why give out both keys), so either I am wrong,
> or I don't know something.  Any clarification would be appreciated.

Read the articles.

> Also, which key server should I use to share my key? Should I upload it
> to several, or are they all synchronized like DNS servers?

They synchronize. I always use pgp.mit.edu but you can pick a different one if you like.

>  Lastly, is
> it possible to change the key once it is sent (or at least the comment)?

Read the articles.

Good luck.

~ C

--
Well I thought you beat "The Death of Inevitability"
to death--just a little bit!  ~ Tragically Hip