Microsoft running Linux?!?

Joe Hill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 3 20:00:59 UTC 2003

On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 15:46:12 -0400
Anton Markov <anton-F0u+EriZ6ihBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> uttered:

> I was just looking at Netcraft's "What's That Site Running" pages.  I
> looked up Microsoft, and it says they run an ISS on a Linux box.
> According to their FAQ, this indicates a Proxy server or a load
> balancer, but that still means Microsoft is using Linux routers!  Can
> someone explain this?  Is this all just an error at Netcraft?

I think they implemented that when the blaster worm started it's DOS on
their site. Of course, Linux being immune to the effects of the
worm...and able to handle a higher load...

what choice did they have?

there was a whole thread about this on the Mandrake list here:

http://archives.mandrakelinux.com/newbie/2003-08/thrd4.php

--
JoeHill
Registered Linux user #282046