SCO.com and Caldera.com dead

Michael mjc106-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 3 04:01:12 UTC 2003

> >>SCO
> >>gave out awards at SCOForum for servers verified (by Emir <g>) to
> be
> >>up for 5, 10 and 17+ years.
> >>

> I wonder what server has been ruunning without a reboot or power
> failure
> since 1986? Not a web server!
>
> It must be something important enough to continue running, but not
> so
> important it ever needed a faster CPU or larger hard drive. I
> suppose
> it's still running on 1Mbit coax ethernet.

And what is the MTBF on hard drives from 17 years ago? Okay, a drive
made in 1985 would have been at most what? 20 MB? (Okay maybe it was
an enterprise server running some database so it had a 800 MB drive.
Apparently in the mid 90s U of T still had a 800 MB drive from that
period, whenever they fired it up it sounded like a jet engine at
takeoff.) While the drive is still in there running the predecessor
to that great and wonderful SCO OS, it has not had an OS upgrade, it
still runs without any major kernel patch, works... oh I know it's
hot-swappable, after all RAID was invented in what 1983?

You know this sounds more like science fiction or some project on
computer history, conceive a machine that would continue to work for
17 years without fail. There was a machine once, I think it was
called the Tandem Guardian (sorry this is before my time so the
spelling is probably wrong) it had hot-swappable everything, even
CPUs, there were at least two chips in each machine, running in lock
step to ensure that if one failed the system could keep running. Then
the first year of operations, daylight savings rolled around, there
was a bug in the OS and the machines crashed starting in the far East
and time-zone by time-zone every single Guardian crashed everywhere.

I know I am young, but frankly I just don't see how a machine could
last 17 years without some serious work on the hardware. (To say
nothing of kernel patches... Oh I know, have a box, leave it in a
corner, plug it into a diesel generator and don't plug it into any
network, leave it alone forever.)

I hate to be definitive, but Rick stop bragging about SCO, they make
(made) a shoddy product, their bread and butter (more like their
water and bread as it keeps them alive but barely) has (on more than
one occasion) been civil action, citing violation of IP. The fact
that they became Caldera and then SCO again seems ironic, the company
is gone, but the spirit (and the name) lives on. They have an
exceedingly weak case according to the legal opinions I have seen, I
worked in the Ministry of the Attorney General. Frankly the only
company I can think of that has more despicable practises in the
computer industry is M$, when SCO finally goes bankrupt and Sontag is
charged with harassment and put where he belongs (in a Federal Pen -
yes what he is doing is worthy of criminal prosecution) I'll be a lot
happier.

Michael