ISP Suggestions...(was Re: Re:Help With Home Server)

Henry Spencer henry-lqW1N6Cllo0sV2N9l4h3zg at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 3 02:06:01 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003, Moniz wrote:
> >There is absolutely nothing about DSL that requires an extra layer of
> >protocols to make it act like a virtual phone call...
>
> Actually, I believe PPPoE was implemented to keep the phone company's
> hands off the IP layer. Your ISP handles all of the IP and the phone
> company just provides the pipe.

That doesn't require PPPoE.  When the phone company sets up DSL service on
your line, they tell their box "anything that comes out of this wire, send
it to *that* ISP, he knows what to do with it".  Similarly, the ISP has a
way to send them stuff earmarked to go into your wire.  No IP-level
involvement by the phone company is required; IP addressing on your wire
is a matter between you and your ISP.

(The IP addresses on either end of *my* DSL link are non-routable, from
one of the private-address blocks.  They were picked by my ISP in
consultation with me, for our mutual convenience; the phone company was
not involved in the discussion.)

                                                          Henry Spencer
                                                       henry-lqW1N6Cllo0sV2N9l4h3zg at public.gmane.org