ISP Suggestions...(was Re: Re:Help With Home Server)

Howard Gibson hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 2 05:58:23 UTC 2003

On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 14:28:16 -0400
"Matthew M. Gamble" <tlug-Xk30rxnpnVyw5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> I wanted to bring the shell server back online, but it is just too big a
> security risk to run one these days.  Between people using it to run IRC
> bots, send out spam, etc it just became too big a headache.  Anyways, I'll
> try to push it by management again, but don't hold your breath.  You are the
> first person I've even heard mention our old shell service in the past year.
>
> If you (or anyone on this list, for that matter) really wants / need a shell
> account, talk to me off the list and I'll see what I can do.  I run a few
> co-lo'd Unix boxes and don't mind giving out free services (shell, DNS, web
> hosting, etc).  Perhaps we could setup a tlug shell server?  Also, if anyone
> is looking for a secondary DNS host, I can provide one free of charge.
>
> Regards,
>
> M. Gamble

Matthew,

   I liked the shell server because it made web page administration dead easy.  I set it up at home.  I make a gzipped tar file.  I uploaded it using FTP.  I logged in.  I deleted the old website, then I unzipped the new one.  I could make a wildly complicated website.

   I did try hacking back into my computer to test my own security, but I can see why you might not want to allow this.

--
Howard Gibson
hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
howard-42qnO8ePF9cV+D8aMU/kSg at public.gmane.org