SCO has valid case

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 1 16:49:05 UTC 2003

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003, Dave Stubbs wrote:

> Anyway, what happens if SCO folds up and goes out of business?  How bad

If they were sued out of business by IBM I suspect the courts would award
trademarks, patents, etc to IBM in lieu of the money they couldn't pay up.
Alternatively the administrators would have to sell off the assets in
order to raise capital to pay the debts.  I suspect IBM would want the
trademarks, etc more than a bit of extra cash (which they already have
plenty of).

> continue the fight, just for fun?  Could Microsoft afford to litigate
> Linux into oblivion?  At least in the US anyway?

If that happened the world would lose more than just a free OS.

I have repeatedly said that if things got to the stage that Laywers ruled
IT and innovation was effectively stifled I'd leave IT and go do something
else.  I have no interest in playing their game.

> Finally, would it be possible to get concerned Linux users together to
> buy SCO?  Or at least to buy the scraps if they folded up?  Maybe then
> we could officially bequeath UNIX to the public domain...
>
> If each angry concerned Linux user out there put $100 into this cause,
> could we do it?

I'd certainly put the money up, but I don't think we'd get the option.
IBM would pick over the bones of SCO first.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org, zzbrock at uqconnect.net