ISP Suggestions...(was Re: Re:Help With Home Server)

Matthew M. Gamble tlug-Xk30rxnpnVyw5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 1 02:52:08 UTC 2003

> "Matthew M. Gamble" <tlug-Xk30rxnpnVyw5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org> writes:
> > Well, as the Senior Network Admin for Echo Online (www.eol.ca) I can say
> > (with some bias) that our service is decent and our support usually
knows
> > what they are doing.
>
> Matthew, I'm moving in October and was thinking of using VoIP [yes, with
> asterisk] to the office as my new home number :)
>
> Do I need to have phone service on my home line to get DSL service?
Please
> say no.
>

> > On top of that, we just removed our bandwidth caps from DSL.  You can
run
> > whatever servers you want, as long you don't run an open relay :-)
>
> Can I open up my squid cache and charge money for the porn?

Right now, no one is offering DSL without phone service (that I know of).
While it would be possible for Bell to do, they won't (remember, all ISP's
buy the raw DSL circuits from Bell Nexxia).  A few of the new CLEC's in
Canada were thinking about doing it, but I haven't seen anyone offer it yet.

As for using VoIP as your primary home phone you need to remember that most
(if not all) VoIP services don't offer 911.  If you ever have an emergency
or power outage at your house, you are screwed for phone service.

What I'd do in your house is install a single line from Bell, run DSL over
it, and put it into a local Asterisk box.  Then run IAX trunking back from
your house to the office (making your house a 'satellite office' of sorts).
That way (with the right call routing) if your internet connection is down
you can still make calls through the local asterisk box and dial 911.

Just my 0.02

M. Gamble