apt-get problem

David J Patrick davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 31 18:45:36 UTC 2003

Kareem Shehata wrote:

>On Fri, 2003-10-31 at 11:36, David J Patrick wrote:
>

>>:/mnt/hda8/djp# apt-get remove knx-alsa
>>Reading Package Lists... Done
>>Building Dependency Tree... Done
>>You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
>>The following packages have unmet dependencies:
>>  alsa-base: Depends: alsa-utils but it is not going to be installed
>>E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or
>>specify a solution).
>>

>Hmmm... it seems the dependency check causes dpkg to fail no matter
>what.  Try "apt-get -f remove knx-alsa" to dump the old package, or try
>"apt-get remove alsa-base knx-alsa" to get rid of both.

OK, first;
root at PIII500:/mnt/hda8/djp# apt-get -f remove knx-alsa
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
  alsa-base: Depends: alsa-utils but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or
specify a solution).

same ol', same ol'
next;
root at PIII500:/mnt/hda8/djp# apt-get remove alsa-base knx-alsa
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  alsa-base knx-alsa
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 2 to remove and 161 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B of archives.
After unpacking 3232kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
(Reading database ... 149676 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing alsa-base ...
Removing knx-alsa ...

GONZO !
now to get alsa-base again ..
apt-get install alsa-base
bla bla bla
Setting up alsa-utils (0.9.6-1) ...
Setting up alsa-base (0.9.6-5) ...
success !

>  On the lighter
>side, give "apt-get moo" a shot.
>
>Cheers!
>
>Kareem

root at PIII500:/mnt/hda8/djp# apt-get install moo
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
E: Couldn't find package moo

 OH NO !
    what will I do without moo ?
       I hear it's verrry important ;-)

congrats Kareem ! you WIN the make-Davids'-box-go contest !
    clever approach; remove conflicting stuff with one command !
Your prize; the knowlege that I'm sporting a goofy grin and a _frosty
pint_ at the next tlug meeting !
(I'll be the scruffy looking one with the backpack ... )
    Joe; thanks for playing and better luck next time !

djp