apt-get problem

Kareem Shehata kareem-d+8TeBu5bOew5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 31 18:36:35 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-10-31 at 13:04, JoeHill wrote:
> then really, there should be no concern with using a "force" option.
> Sorry, I run Mandrake, so I don't know what switch enables the force
> install, but if you see "man apt-get" I bet it's in there.

I've found that with a decent install of Debian, the force option is
very rarely necessary.  The dependencies tend to be very well worked
out, and between apt and dpkg, upgrades are usually straight-forward.

> It's funny, though, that even after renaming /usr/bin/alsamixer, it
> still saw a conflict. Perhaps you were on the right track, and there is
> a record in /var/cache/apt/archives/ that is telling apt-get that
> /usr/bin/alsamixer still exists, even though it does not.

So far as I know, the actually file doesn't much matter, the dpkg
records keep track of which files are supposed to belong to which
package.  The result is that both packages have database entries for the
same file, and dpkg will not allow both to be installed.

> Look in /var/cache/apt/archives/ for a config file that lists installed
> packages, and you might be able to comment out or delete the entry.

Again, in debian this should be completely unnecessary, and sets up a
very bad precedent.  If you're going to do this, you might as well not
bother with apt, since you've destroyed it's most vital function:
keeping track of what's on the system.

> --
> JoeHill
> Registered Linux user #282046
> Homepage: www.orderinchaos.org
> The major sin is the sin of being born.
> 		-- Samuel Beckett

As I've long suspected, I'm going to hell in a handbasket.  Though I'd
always thought my undoing was installing Win95 on a 486.

Kareem

--
      kareem-d+8TeBu5bOew5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org   -   Kareem Shehata   -   416-676-6611