IT Job creations... IT job losses?

Keith Mastin kmastin-PzQIwG9Jn9VAFePFGvp55w at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 31 17:59:07 UTC 2003

>> What exactly is Lindows doing that is so awful?  I don't understand
>> why everyone is bashing them, I believe there's something that I've
>> missed.  From what I see of their product it looks excellent.

I gag at the idea that linux guis resemble windoh$s guis. We're copying
them, not leading them, then we wonder why we always have the feeling that
our flies are undone.

>> The only awful thing that I am aware is that they had people running
>> as root by default.  Running as root by default is insanity but I've
>> heard rumours that may no longer be the case ... anyone know?

I'de love to run nessus up against one of those machines. We'll see how
h4x0r friendly it is then.

>> Other than the root thing what have they done?

Linux has some huge strengths that aren't being effectively exploited in
marketing. Viruses and worms aren't a problem like they are in windows. Do
we really realize how powerful a marketing tool that is? Huge. And the
networking features... those should be pushed to mom-n-pop home user too.
They love having control. Instead, those are hidden in the background and
programs that play wmv files are installed. I think that's bass-ackwards.

> Well, the root thing first off. And I think you are correct, they've
> made or are going to make changes to that.

It's a Debian distro! What were they thinking? Or was it just copying
Windoh$XP?

> My main complaint is the same one as I have with something like WineX or
> Crossover, there are so many OSS projects that can do what closed source
> proprietary software does, and Lindows is just encouraging people to use
> Linux to run the same old crap, instead of really exploring OSS
> alternatives.

Bingo! But then so is OpenOffice...

> Sorry if I'm a bit too Richard Stallman'ish for ya, but that's just the
> way I am. I want to see the end of closed source proprietary software
> (and hardware, for that matter) in my lifetime, and Lindows is *not* the
> way to go to achieve that. If I were recommending someone switch to
> Linux, I would push Mandrake or Debian, not Lindows.

For a total noob, Mandrake might be okay if it's been fixed in the last
couple years. I hated the idea of demo'ing a 'stable' system
('drake-6.0)that crashed and froze.

When we're talking about wide market distribution of a ready-to-wear OS,
we are not talking about selling what's under the hood, we're talking
about selling a paint job. The average schmoe doesn't care about the
subtleties of multi-tasking or secured filesystems, but they should be
able to get the benefit of them out-of-the-box while convincing themselves
(and all the friends) that kde or gnome IS linux.

And what is this AV crap on a linux desktop distro? That's gotta be the
most retarded thing I heard of.

As for ending the life closed-source software, I disagree. The whole world
should have a choice of whatever anyone can come up with. Some of that
software should be priced well out of our price range. I really don't want
the world to know that the DND is running on *nix, I want them to think
they're dealing with unca' billy.

> Oh, and Lindows deals with WalMart, a company that has a *very* bad
> track record when it comes to labour and union-busting, and we all know
> how I stand on that subject ;-)

Walmart has played it's part for all I care. The word is out, they can go
now. Why not sell a high end machine with Linux on it where we can run
apples against apples in comparisons? They threw it on some crap hardware
to push it out the door for under $500. I wonder how many of those systems
are now running windoh$ considering the $100/yr for software updates?

--
Keith