apt-get problem

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 31 18:04:46 UTC 2003

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 11:49:29 -0500
David J Patrick <davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org> uttered:

> >You could "force" the install (is that the -f option?), though this
> >is never highly recommended, you would alway be able to reinstall
> >knx-alsa.
> >

> I'm hoping to avoid "forcing" things.
> As to reinstalling knx alsa; why would I need it if the main alsa
> packages are working ?
> (which, at the moment, they are not)

then really, there should be no concern with using a "force" option.
Sorry, I run Mandrake, so I don't know what switch enables the force
install, but if you see "man apt-get" I bet it's in there.

It's funny, though, that even after renaming /usr/bin/alsamixer, it
still saw a conflict. Perhaps you were on the right track, and there is
a record in /var/cache/apt/archives/ that is telling apt-get that
/usr/bin/alsamixer still exists, even though it does not.

Look in /var/cache/apt/archives/ for a config file that lists installed
packages, and you might be able to comment out or delete the entry.

--
JoeHill
Registered Linux user #282046