apt-get problem

David J Patrick davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 31 16:49:29 UTC 2003

JoeHill wrote:

>On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 11:11:35 -0500
>David J Patrick <davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org> uttered:
>

>>Unpacking alsa-utils (from .../alsa-utils_0.9.6-1_i386.deb) ...
>>dpkg: error processing
>>/var/cache/apt/archives/alsa-utils_0.9.6-1_i386.deb (--unpack):
>> trying to overwrite `/usr/bin/alsamixer', which is also in package
>> knx-alsa
>>dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
>>Errors were encountered while processing:
>> /var/cache/apt/archives/alsa-utils_0.9.6-1_i386.deb
>>E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
>>
>>error messages suggest "apt-get -f install", but that doesn't help.
>>I've tried "apt-get dist-upgrade" and "apt-get remove knx-*" without
>>success.
>>I.ve tried renaming `/usr/bin/alsamixer' (no-go) and now I'm stumped.
>>
>>should I go into /var/cache/apt/archives/ and nuke offending entries ?
>>
>>ideas ?
>>

> I've run into similar situations in Mandrake.
>
>You could "force" the install (is that the -f option?), though this is
>never highly recommended, you would alway be able to reinstall
>knx-alsa.

I'm hoping to avoid "forcing" things.
As to reinstalling knx alsa; why would I need it if the main alsa
packages are working ?
(which, at the moment, they are not)

>Were you able to rename /usr/bin/alsamixer, or do you mean you did but
>it didn't help?

I was able to rename, but afterwards the errors were unchanged.

>When you do apt-get remove knx-*, do you get an error message?

root at PIII500:/mnt/hda8/djp# apt-get remove knx-* -s
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Note, selecting knx-installer for regex 'knx-*'
Note, selecting knx-flashplugin for regex 'knx-*'
Note, selecting knx-alsa for regex 'knx-*'
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
  alsa-base: Depends: alsa-utils but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or
specify a solution).

Back to square one !
    we both know it's some dumb/ simple thing .. but WHAT !! ;-)
djp