Missing device

Anton Markov anton-F0u+EriZ6ihBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 31 03:03:52 UTC 2003

Hi John,

What kernel version and which distribution are you running?  You need a
2.4 series kernel (you could patch a 2.2 kernel, but I think it's best
to just upgrade).

Try:
mknod /dev/raw1394 c 171 0
modprobe raw1394

This did the job for my Via OHCI adapter and Sony TRV140 DV camcorder.

If you need more help, check out the info at
<http://www.linux1394.org/start_req.html>

I would also suggest you use a higher-level program such as Kino
<http://kino.schirmacher.de/>

Enjoy :)

John Moniz wrote:
| I am trying to capture some video from a dig video camera connected to a
| firewire card. When I run the dvgrab command, I get the following error:
|
| raw1394 - couldn't get handle: No such device
| This error usually means that the ieee1394 driver is not loaded or that
| /dev/raw1394 does not exist.
|
| I have these modules loaded:
| ohci1394               18600   0  (unused)
| ieee1394               45388   0  [ohci1394]
|
| But I have no /dev/raw1394 device listed. How do I make/get such a
| device? I couldn't find an "mk..." type command that might do it.
|
| Thanks,
|
| John.
|
| --
| The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings: http://tlug.ss.org
| TLUG requests: Linux topics, No HTML, wrap text below 80 columns

- --
Anton Markov <("anton" + "@" + "truxtar" + "." + "com")>

GnuPGP Key fingerprint =
5546 A6E2 1FFB 9BB8 15C3  CE34 46B7 8D93 3AD1 44B4

~ "The difference between insanity and genius is measured only by success."
~ - Some bad guy from 007