NVU the WYSIWYG HTML for linux

Howard Gibson hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 30 18:49:42 UTC 2003

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 10:30:25 -0500
Austin <aacton-B71PBEe7S7Y at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> While we're on the topic, does anyone know how to:
> 1. embed a local html file into each page of a site? (could be done
> once or at each page serve, like for a sidebar or a footer)
> 2. embed a remote html (on-the-fly) file into a page? (must be dymanic
> of course)
>
> I assume one could do #1 very easily, but #2 must require a perl script
> or something?

Austin,

   I have a Perl script that searches HTML files for a tag.  When it finds the tag, it inserts the contents of a specified HTML file.  When I am ready to update the website, I run a Makefile which calls up this script to set up a footer.  I upload the results.  To fix all the footers on the site, I have to re-upload all the HTML, but this is fairly easy with FTP, and easier if you have a shell account.  The PERL code is trivial, and I do not need to execute anything at the server.

--
Howard Gibson
hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
howard-42qnO8ePF9cV+D8aMU/kSg at public.gmane.org