Mail delivery problem on my server

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 30 16:22:30 UTC 2003

Hi all,

   I have a very odd, and very worrisome problem on my mail server. Now
please let me preface that I am a hardware geek more than a softweare
geek, specially when it comes to Sendmail. Also, the server is up and
running so switching to Postfix isn't really a viable option (though I
will for the next server).

   Anyway, here is my problem... When some people send me (mkelly at
alteeve dot com) a message they get through while others get an error
like this: (not this person is an Outlook user)

  -= Error Message =-

       Sent:     30/10/2003 12:11 PM

       Matthew Kelly on 30/10/2003 12:11 PM

             The message reached the recipient's e-mail system, but
delivery was refused.  Attempt to resend the message.  If it still
fails, contact your system administrator.

             <cgexchange.consolidatedgroup.ca #5.2.1>
  -= End Error =-

   Now what is particularly wierd is that when they send it to another
account of mine on my server (linux at alteeve dot com) the message gets
through just fine. From the server side (Rh7.3 with the default Sendmail
plus updates from 'up2date') I have tried first dumping my
'/var/spool/mail/mkelly' file, no good. Next I even deleted my account
(via '# userdel mkelly') and then recreated my account, nope.

   The only other thing I have noticed is that, for some reason, some of
the mail account spool files on the server have the group "mail" set
where most of the others have both owner AND group set to their
name/group. Finally, a couple other accounts had been changed to
permission -rw------- (0600) where most again where -rw-rw---- (0660). I
tried changing my own 'mkelly' file to owner/group mkelly and setting
the permissions back to 0660 but the message still bounced.

   Does anyone have -any- idea what could be going on?? This bothers me,
obviously, because mkelly is my main account and I know I am loosing
messages. BTW, I have also verified loosing messages from other people
not using Exchange server...

   Many thanks!!

Madison