NVU the WYSIWYG HTML for linux

Fraser Campbell fraser-Txk5XLRqZ6CsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 30 16:15:25 UTC 2003

On Thursday 30 October 2003 10:30, Austin wrote:

> While we're on the topic, does anyone know how to:
> 1. embed a local html file into each page of a site? (could be done
> once or at each page serve, like for a sidebar or a footer)

If you generate the pages offline there are a million ways to do that.  If you
want the page included at each request then server-side includes are probably
the easiest way, you do something like this:

    <!--#include file="/templates/header.html"-->

Take a look at http://www.apacheweek.com/features/ssi for the basics of SSI.

> 2. embed a remote html (on-the-fly) file into a page? (must be dymanic
> of course)

Like you noted this would require a decent scripting language to implement
(perl, python, etc.).  It will be possible in PHP5, I think it would be
difficult in PHP4.  Whether it's a good idea is another question ;-)

Halton Hills, Ontario, Canada                             Debian GNU/Linux