how to log out without panel

Chris Aitken aitken-BwLjziHGQLusTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 30 02:23:10 UTC 2003

A while back I posted for help with my missing gnome panel. I was
offered a little direction but nothing helped. I can't find anything on
google either. I even tried removing files from another /home/account
one-by-one -to see which file affects the panel - none did - that leaves
me wondering if the panel is not even stored in /home/account - whch is
wierd because all the new accounts I create have panels - so, where are
these account-specific panels stored?

I am still using that account as I've done a bit of work on it - I lost
netcape settings and mail for a while and then was able to restore them
from a tar.gz backup I had created. So, I want to keep working with/-
and earning from - this acount.

But does anyone know how I can log out of this accoutntso my daughter
can log into her account? I managed to create an xterm icon (from the
nautilus Start Here icon) and I do all my work from there, launching
applications, doing backups, etc. It's good for me. But I don't know how
to log out of the GUI.  Logging out of my daughter's account and into
mine is no problem, but the other way around I don't know how. I tried
Ctrl+Alt+F1 to get to command line,  logout, su - daughter,  startx -
that was my best guess but of course it didn't work and it reported X is
already up.

Chris