"As for the GPL, it's total war."

Byron Desnoyers Winmill lists-Gb8Tj4xcA4YgsBAKwltoeQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 30 13:21:33 UTC 2003

On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 05:59:42AM -0500, JoeHill wrote:
> Now SCO has submitted it's arguments in detail, and it's quite plain
> that they are going for the whole munchie.

It doesn't matter if the GPL stands or falls in court: (a) this is an
American court, and they do not control the legal system of other
countries (eg. Canadian and American copyright law appear to be quite
different); (b) the failure of the GPL would probably bring most license
agreements into question, and finally end this nonsense of publishers
dictating how we use our computers; (c) if all else fails, the copyrights
would have to revert to the authors -- so they would not loose anything.

> ....and, honestly, whom do you think is pulling the strings on this one?

There are companies which have a lot more to loose (than the usual
suspect) if there are not tight controls on how IP is managed.  *If*
somebody else is pulling the strings, this may have nothing to do with
software.

Byron.