after Linux, what? in place of Hurd, Eros, Brazil,...?

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 29 22:12:06 UTC 2003

On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 04:46:01PM -0500, Toomas Karmo wrote:
> Thanks to Christopher Browne (http://cbbrowne.com/info/)
> for opening up an important topic, making it clear that I had
> overstated the merits of Hurd:
> I hereby recant. It's now NOT clear that Hurd is the Next Great Thing.
>
> At this point
> I'd like to ask whether anyone can peer into a crystal ball and see
> what the Next Great Thing might be. Rob Brockway has referred in passing
> to Eros, Brazil, and Plan9 as interesting operating systems. Do any of
> these have passionate backers? Is anyone  on the listserv
> keen to wade in and DEFEND Hurd?

Hurd is dead for the forseeable future, not because of any technical
merit (there are many thing we use that we know is full of ...), but
because of lack of interest from developers.  It could be that

    1. All PhD thesis materials have been exhausted in OS/kernel area.

    2. It doesn't give significant improvement over existing solution.

    3. They don't have access to hardware.  Kernel development is
    intrinsically tied to hardware.  Linux was developed on and for
    i386.  North/South America is spoken for; maybe Europe as well.
    Perhaps, India/China will choose to develop their own CPU, and their
    users may choose different OS/kernel.

--
William Park, Open Geometry Consulting, <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>