How much does Dell pay to MS for an OEM XP?

Tom Tom-QXpTDD2AffPSUeElwK9/Pw at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 29 22:07:58 UTC 2003

I need to buy a PC for someone who isn't ready for Linux, and I don't want
to push them to Linux prematurely.  Instead I'm going to get them a WinXP
machine and try to minimize the damage.  My concern is that if I go to my
corner store and buy a PC with an OEM XP home, that's $140 (- markup) that
goes to MS.

I heard that only $10 goes to MS if I buy from Dell instead (though I prefer
not to).  Is this true?

If so, then I should buy from Dell to avoid feeding MS too much.  It also
means that the corner PC shops are in serious trouble.

Is there another Dell-like company, that also gets XP for cheap, but isn't
Dell?

Thanks,
Tom.