ProtFTP Troubles

Kevin Cozens kcozens-qazKcTl6WRFWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 28 18:40:40 UTC 2003

At 05:36 PM 10/24/2003 -0400, gbell72 wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 05:06:32PM -0400, gbell72 wrote:
> > > I've added AllowStoreRestart to my config but it still comes back to him
> > > permission denied..also whenever he attempts to start a new file he gets
> > > same thing..and as far as i can tell I've not edited anything that would
> > > be preventing him from doing so.
[snip]
>I'm assuming it's a
>   permissions problem but Im unsure how to set it right so he's able to
>   read and write to the dir's again.
>   When I configured everything I did chown -R ftp ftp-users
>   /home/gbell72/ftproot and chmod -R 770 /home/gbell72/ftproot.

I think it is a permissions problem. You have changed ownership of
/home/gbell72/ftproot to ftp and group ownership to ftp-users and given
only that user and group permissions to write in the directory. If you FTP
to the machine and use the user ID of gbell72 and the associated password
to log in you will not be able to write to the ftproot directory unless
gbell72 is a member of the ftp-users group. If gbell72 is to be allowed
write access to ftproot then you should chown the files and directory back
to ownership by gbell72.

What are you trying to accomplish regarding your FTP setup? Are you trying
to restrict access or allow others access to the directory in question?

Cheers!

Packet:ve3syb at ve3yra.#con.on.ca.na|  Try to assimilate the world!"