url suffix question

Peter L. Peres plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 27 23:06:17 UTC 2003

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003, Stephen Allen wrote:

> Has anyone seen a requested url in their web server logs that ends with a " ."?
> That's a space and a period. I cannot seeing it being a mistype as it was logged
> several times.
>
> Is this an attempt at an exploit of some kind?

It could be an exploit if given to a script (cgi). . represents the
current working directory. Depending on what the server does it might pass
. as an argument to the script. This may or may not cause trouble.

Otoh, it has happened to me to cut & paste a url from text complete with
ending dot, which was offset by a space from the url text (and sometimes
not offset).

Peter