perl Tk::JPEG and VOCP

David J Patrick davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 28 00:49:45 UTC 2003

I got a PentiumIII500, w. 512 ram, running Debian testing/ unstable.
I ditched my winmodem for a USR-56(thingie) voice-fax-data modem.
I want my box to behave like an answering machine, a fax machine and all
that jazz.
    Oh yeah !

So I found VOCP that promises to do great gui things with vgetty, and a
pile o perl.
    It took quite some time to install, I did it three times.
DAMN ! perl mod Tk::JPEG was not found, or was not the expected version.
    No GUI, no go !
Google regurgitated several mailings regarding the verry same problem,
and the finger was pointed at perl. The solution offered was to
recompile to the newest version.
    trouble is; I found several sources of perl (ActiveState and others)
and honestly have some nervousness about recompiling something that I
suspect is central to the workings of my box. I don't have much
experience recompiling anything..
    Can anyone suggest the path of least resistance here ? I apt-getted
(apt-got?) perl-base 5.8.1-3 but that did not help VOCP find mod Tk::JPEG
    thanks,
djp