linux (TM) keyboard

Peter L. Peres plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 27 18:08:32 UTC 2003

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003, Robert Brockway wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Oct 2003, Stewart C. Russell wrote:
>
> > I always used to clean my old IBM in the bath; clean warm water, no
> > soap. I believe it's still working to this day on my parents' computer.
>
> I knew a guy who washed a dirty motherboard with soap & water once.  He
> then rinced it throughly and left it dry for several days.  I am told it
> powered up fine :)

fyi in some factory processes boards are washed with water and detergent
as a final step of processing, and then dried in a tunnel drier (warm dry
air is blown through the tunnel exactly like in a clothes dryer). The
trick is the water is de-ionised and purified. Not tap water although I
understand that tap water in some places is suitable. However all parts
that are not allowed to be immersed must be sealed (and they are, with
little labels). On a finished board this is not the case and there may be
trouble. Switches, potentiometers, sockets and some connectors are known
to cause trouble. ymmv.

Peter