package management tests: Debian, Mandrake winners

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 27 19:33:53 UTC 2003

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 13:55:01 -0500
William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org> uttered:

> Hey, what's wrong with .tgz format? ;-)  Slackware keeps list of files
> installed, so that you can remove them when uninstalling.  In fact,
> that's what people do anyway when "upgrading", ie. remove old files,
> then install new files.

I know, I know, I'm just bein' silly. To be honest, I'd love to try
Slack, but I'm just too much of a newb yet. On the page that was linked
at the start of this thread, they give the example of MPlayer. With
urpmi, and the efforts of the guys at PLF, I not only get all the
*necessary* deps for MPlayer, I get *all* of the codecs as well, so I
can play those...um...movies that I...uh...obtained legally...

Whereas in Slack I'd probably have to hunt down all the codec packages
as well as the necessary libs.

Beyond that, it's all the GTK and Python and Perl and various Gnome libs
that would drive me nuts with Slack, but then again I'd probably learn
more. As I always say, I need another machine, so I can have one to do
my daily ass-fattening, and another to learn on, with something like
Slack.

Come to think of it, I would have liked to see Gentoo on the list of
distros they tested.

--
JoeHill
Registered Linux user #282046