happiness is a ping reply

Teddy Mills teddymills-VFlxZYho3OA at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 27 05:47:32 UTC 2003

Linux is the only thing I can rely on...
This weekend I had to upgrade 2 Mac laptops to OSX.  Actually I like OSX,
but fully migrating their old systems/data
 to the OSX and OSX apps was messy.  Then I had a Sony VAIO/Windows XP that
was blue screening every time the wireless network was used.

Then my 1U Dell PowerApp web100 server died. A Real Disaster! No OSX or XP
updates!
Not sure it is the processor, motherboard or power supply. I ruled
everything else out.  It was running my Linux RH9 server and
email/dns/domains/ basically everything.

Fortunatley I had my old trusty PII Compaq, but is was running a version of
the RH9 software/data that was out of date. domains/email etc wasnt
routing...httpd was not even loading...

Sos I said to myself...self, take out the SCSI drives and Adaptec/LVD and
drop it into the spare PIII Compaq.
Fortunaltely the kernel i compiled supported those new NIC cards.

ON THE FIRST BOOT, my LINUX SERVER WORKED IN A NEW COMPUTER! (a few kudzu
changes, that thats all)

(then i kissed my stuffed penguin mascot!)

"You can't kill zombie processes because they're ALREADY DEAD!" (banging on
the desk)