leading spaces and Perl. (GAAAAA!)

Stewart C. Russell scruss-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 25 17:30:16 UTC 2003

Henry Spencer wrote:

> I'm sure there are half a dozen, with different options, all claiming
> to be the best. :-)

(vastly off-topic now) No, I think that most Perl hackers would agree
that that's taken by Damian Conway's SelfGOL program: "an obfuscated,
self-aware, viral quine that can:

* self-replicate,
* rewrite other Perl programs to allow them to self-replicate,
* detect un-rewritable Perl programs,
* execute itself or other Perl programs as cellular automata of
   arbitrary size (to play Conway's "Game of Life"),
* animate any short text as a cycling marquee banner.

SelfGOL accomplishes these feats in under 1000 bytes of standard Perl,
without importing any modules, and without using a single if, unless,
while, until, for, foreach, goto, next, last, redo, map, or grep."

Fear it.

  Stewart

--
$,="\n";foreach(split('',"\3\3\3c>\0>c\177cc\0~c~``\0cc\177cc"))
{$a++;$_=unpack('B8',$_);tr,01,\40#,;$b[$a%6].=$_};print @b,"\n"