easy step-by-step through ftp?

Chris Aitken aitken-BwLjziHGQLusTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 23 10:03:00 UTC 2003

OK - I'm OK now.

ftp> get hons800bckup.gz.tar
227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,0,1,81,231)
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for hons800bckup.gz.tar (127 bytes).
226 Transfer complete.
127 bytes received in 0.0096 seconds (13 Kbytes/s)

Since ftp dumps me into the home dir of the account I log in as on the
remote machine, I just threw the file I want to transfer in there. Then
it showed up when I did an ls -a on the remote directory (I just couldn't
cd higher than that home dir for some reason)  - thanks to Jing Su for
getting me to focus on what I can see where I was.

Otherwise I would have had to give away the keys to the castle to give
permissions to get all the way to the slave drive on the remote machine.
That kind of security hole is not warranted here. Thanks to Keith for
showing up - I always think harder about security when he's lurking...

Chris