Cogeco

Keith Mastin kmastin-PzQIwG9Jn9VAFePFGvp55w at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 24 18:53:08 UTC 2003

> Hi
>
> Who has experiences with Cogeco and I also would like to know
> if  Cogeco has port 25 restriction?
> We are currently customers of sympatico with a web and mail server
> at Verio and we would like to change our ISP.

There may be other options available to you than cable. Sympatico et al
are great if all you want to do is surf, download etc., but can be a bit
rough if you want to run servers.

Cable connectivity has a higher bandwidth ceiling than ADSL etc., but that
ceiling is not stable, fluctuating with shared usage on the trunk, etc.
Also, being a bigger ISP (I think Cogeco is a layer 1 provider) could mean
that they may eventually block certain ports sooner than later.

If this is a commercial account, I would suggest going with a mini-ISP
that has decent support (you can talk to a reasonably knowledgable tech
with a phone call), pricing plan etc., as they are more likely to be able
to respond to your needs more than any of the monopolists will.

--
Keith Mastin
BeechTree Information Technology Services Inc.