ctrl+alt+f* combo problem

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 24 15:39:07 UTC 2003

On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 10:19:59PM -0400, Madison Kelly wrote:
> Hi all!
>
>   I put together a system last that used a video card and chipset not
> natively supported by the Redhat 9.0 kernel. This doesn't in itself seem
> to be a problem (btw, that is an nVidia 5200fx and an Inted D875PBZ
> mainboard). The only lagging problem is that for some reason the key
> combination <ctrl> + <alt> + <F*> does NOT open a new shell session, in
> fact it seems to do nothing at all.
>
>   First off, what process actually watches for this key combo (so that
> I have a pointer to where I should look) and more has anyone seen this
> problem elsewhere before?
>
>   Any help or pounters is greatly appreciated!!

Well Left Control + Alt + Fkey is monitored by the X server and switches
to those VTs.  What runs on those VTs is usually determined by inittab.

When not in X, the kernel watches the Control + Alt + Fkey (and Lat +
Fkey) [left side of keyboard again] and switches as appropriate.

If it doesn't work in X, something else has remapped the keys, or is
intercepting them (vmware for example can do that), or the X server is
broken or misconfigured (wrong keymap perhaps?).

Lennart Sorensen