P4C800 Motherboard

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 24 15:24:19 UTC 2003

On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 11:12:47AM -0400, Kerry Panchoo wrote:
> Has anyone managed to get the Asus P4C800 Deluxe board fully working--
> i've tried the stuff suggested on the online forums- with very little or
>  no positive results.
>
> I'm running red hat 9.0 with the 2.4.20-20.9smp Kernel
>
> I've got 2 identical SATA 120GB hard disks connected up to the raid and
> one 120GB IDE drive on ide0
>
> the Promise raid - FastTrak 378 doesnt work-- cant get it to run- i set
> the bios to compatible mode and tried to install-- didnt work.. any
> suggestions?

I would personally use Linux software raid over Promise software raid.
At least with the linux one you can move the raid to another machine in
the future without loosing access to the data.  I also suspect the Linux
software raid is slightly more cpu efficient.

> the 3COM gigabit lan drivers are useless-- i got it to work-- but you
> cant go to google etc-- pretty bizzare

You can ping other machines on the network?

Have you tried using a 2.4.22 kernel, which has many driver updates.  I
think serial ATA support is a very recent addition to the 2.4 kernels,
and only for a few chipsets.

CHeck the lspci or /proc/pci listing for the SATA controller, and post
it and someone can look up which kernel if any supports that controller.

Lennart Sorensen