ftp connection refused

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 24 14:43:32 UTC 2003

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 15:41:16 -0400
aitken-BwLjziHGQLusTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org uttered:

> I know there are lots of other file transfer utilities, all of them
> probably more
> secure than ftp. However, I want to use ftp for a while and then learn
> another.
>
> I ran /usr/sbin/ntsysv at each computer and the available services are
> vsftpd,
> wu-ftp, and tftp - all of them are *not* checked for automatic
> startup. But,
> again, I don't think the client or the daemon are the culprits here -
> just the
> connection.

"connection refused" really can mean only one of two things, IIRC. The
FTP daemon is just not running, or you do not have rights/access to the
root dir.

I'm not familiar with RH, but there must be a way to show all the
running services. I'm also not familiar with ntsysv, so I don't know if
that shows you what's running or just what's installed.

Try running "top" from a console and look for an ftp daemon running,
that might show you what's up. Another one is "ps ax".

Also, the FTP server should have a configuration utility of some kind,
check in the RH config wizards for FTP and make sure the directory is
accessible to anonymous connections.

In general, I would recommend Apache for serving FTP, easy to config,
esp through something like Webmin.

--
JoeHill
Registered Linux user #282046