Mandrake 9.2 and LG CD Drives

Mike Stok mike-bJIJdQQ8uHW1Qrn1Bg8BZw at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 23 17:41:23 UTC 2003

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, Elliott Chapin wrote:

> I didn't like the appearance of the boot screen (framed graphically like
> lilo's). Later on the KDE menu tree (opened by the arrow/button at the
> extreme lower left) came up extremely thin (many missing nodes), as if some
> config files had become corrupted; I don't think programs had disappeared.
> I can't remember any more at the moment - am tired and busy

That happened to my system after getting the kde patches.  Apparently (and
I say that 'cos I have run the command but not started a window manager to
see if it worked) this is the explanation (from mandrake club posting):

  It is a known bug in the rpm package included in 9.2. What happens is
  that when update-menus tries to run during the postinstall process, the
  package  database is still locked by rpm, so it cannot get the package
  list for updating the menus. The solution is to run 'update-menus -v' as
  root and that should fix you right up. If that still doesn't work, you
  probably have made some menu adjustments at the individual user leve. In
  that case, run update-menus -v as your user after running as root.

Mike

--
mike-bJIJdQQ8uHW1Qrn1Bg8BZw at public.gmane.org                    |           The "`Stok' disclaimers" apply.
http://www.stok.co.uk/~mike/       | GPG PGP Key      1024D/059913DA