domains on linux

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 23 15:14:21 UTC 2003

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 10:55:03 -0400
Madison Kelly <linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> uttered:

> IIRC from reading the man page on NMAP or IPTables isn't there a way
> to setup a box/firewall to not answer port scans? Something about
> simply not responging unless it is a specific request for the server
> (ie. http-get request for Apache)? I wish I could remember details but
> anyway it might be a way to keep Rogers off your back.

I know on my router I have this option: Ignore ping and port scans from
WAN. I *assume* this means that the router will not answer. I have,
however, noticed, that this can cause other problems, since for example
when you go to send an e-mail, they may ping or scan to make sure you
are coming from their network.

In any case, the best way to deal with any accusations that one is
violating some TOS is to play dumb and deny all knowledge, claim the web
page was only for internal clients, etc.

I've been running a webserver on Sympatico for years and nary a peep
from them.

--
JoeHill
Registered Linux user #282046