USB 2.0 External CD Burner on a USB 1.1 computer

Mel Seder melseder-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 22 20:37:21 UTC 2003

--- Teodor Iliescu <tiliescu-ZdyLq7YhDA8hunQcOVOuvCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, Mel Seder wrote:
>
> > Are the USB 2.0 cd burners built for the newer High Speed USB ports
> > only?
>
> They are also USB 1.1 backwards compatible. Unfortunately, the only
> speed
> you will get out of them on a USB 1.1 port is about 4x. Something to
> consider when burning lots of CDs. Not sure about all burners, but
> you can
> use this as a general rule.
>
> 4 x 150k/s = 600k/s (4x speed)
>
> Do you have a USB 2.0 card, or a does your motherboard support USB
> 2.0?

I have an ASUS P4B266 motherboard.  Their shipping box says USB 2.0
(optional) so I suspect I don't have it.  I don't remember putting in
any kind of USB card when I assembled the computer.

=====
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him
absolutely no good. -Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)