Job opportunity - contract

drew-vnkfHpbZfesgsBAKwltoeQ at public.gmane.org drew-vnkfHpbZfesgsBAKwltoeQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 22 15:35:58 UTC 2003

Forwarded for my Dad, please respond to him dirrectly at

"George Hammond" <ghamm-Vu0SEX+x72vdtdh9y/2JUA at public.gmane.org>

Please include a cover letter and a CV. From what I understand, they're
looking at implementing a web-app front end to a Postgres db. There's a
strong emphasis on secure, high quality / maintainable code and solid
documentation. This is not a position for a junior developer.

-- Drew

My name is George Hammond, and I help with technical support for the
Primary Health Care Nurse Practitioner (NP) program at Ryerson School of
Nursing.

The Ryerson NP office, located at 415 Yonge St, Suite 1604,  is the
Central Registry for the 10 Ontario University Schools of Nursing
consortium.  We currently maintain a small (MSWorks) database of all
learners and staff in the program in Ontario.  We will be upgrading our
database this summer and Fall to an on-line data acquisition and
reporting mechanism.  Our database does not replace existing Registrar's
systems; rather it serves as a single source for combined basic data
about learners and staff from the 10 institutions.

The database is relatively small, since we currently have about 900
individual records to maintain, and the currently anticipated maximum
size might grow to several thousand (2,000 to 3,000) over the next 10
years.  Our database will have typical security provisions to restrict
access appropriately for both the learners and staff, much as a full
fledged Student Records System would do.  Given the relatively small
size, and the need for on-line access by learners and staff across the
province, we are not contemplating use of one of the currently available
Student Records packages.

Our project will begin with the selection of database software suitable
for development and operation of the database at Ryerson.  We are
developing a logical design for the database now.  We plan to have the
database system go into early production mode next January, so
development and testing will take place during the Fall.

Thanks very much,
George Hammond