Mandrake 9.2 laptops (?)

Byron Q. Desnoyers Winmill lists-Gb8Tj4xcA4YgsBAKwltoeQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 22 04:32:53 UTC 2003

FWIW, a friend bought a Sony Vaio a few years back.  Linux worked well,
but was less than amusing to install.  (The computer's responses could
be summed up as: floppy drive? CD-ROM? Network booting?  What the heck
are you talking about?)  To make matters worse, the restore CD would
clobber anything on the hard drive -- so how Linux and Windows shared
the hard drive was severely limited.  Things to watch out for at anyrate.

If you're willing to settle for Mandrake 9.1, how about a nice shiny
PowerBook.  I used Debian on a G3 for some time, and was rather pleased.
It looks like you can even run Windows software.  Here is a screenshot
of a VM, under an emulator, under a VM, under Linux.

http://www.maconlinux.com/sshots/pic10.jpg

Mac-on-Linux works well, as does Virtual PC (albeit, slowly).  I never
tried to combination of the two, as this person's screenshot shows.

Another benefit: the restore CD doesn't assume that the vendor's OS is
the only OS you would want to run, so repartitioning the hard drive is
fair play.

A preliminary test of a stock 2.4 kernel from Debian 3.0r1 suggests that
a 12" PowerBook DVI will run Linux.  Anybody interested in a status
report when my machine comes in?

Byron.