Anything new to know about scanners?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 21 19:25:05 UTC 2003

On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 02:01:25PM -0400, Mel Wilson wrote:
>    I'm in the market for one of those not-too-expensive
> scanners.  (I notice Future Shop has a sale on one that does
> slides for about my top price -- $150.)  Any recommendations
> or caveats for what works with Linux?

Epson always works.  Other brands sometimes work.

Epson makes their own scanners and hence use a single command set that
is well documented (you can order the programing manual), which makes
life simple for the developers of sane.

Other brands tend to buy scanners from scanner makers so the command set
varies between models, and most of the actual makers seem pretty
unwilling to disclose the interface commands needed to write good
drivers.

I know what I would buy.

Lennart Sorensen