sad sad sad

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 20 22:30:10 UTC 2003

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, Peter L. Peres wrote:

> The payback was in the power budget (embedded, portable), heat (none),
> size (smaller board) and price. All this for half the speed. Fyi a 386SX
> will run a modern (at least 2.2) kernel just fine in despite of lacking

It should run any version of Linux as it should look just like a 386DX
to the OS (except maybe for /proc/cpuinfo).

> FPU (yes floating point works in applications using emulation -
> transparent to the applications).  I am impressed (even X11 works with

The FPU emulation is still in the kernel too - I wonder how recently
someone actually used it :)

> only 8M of RAM on a 386SX/33). Ok, it's slow. So what. I remember
> competitions in the 'kernel compile time'. 386SX I do not dare to test,

I heard about someone compiling the kernel on a 386SX-something with <8MB
ram and it taking 24hr or so :)  My 486DX-33 with 4MB ram used to take 2hr
for the 1.0/1.1 kernels.  The time dropped to 1hr when I upgraded to 8MB
:)

Cheers,
	Rob (returning from memory lane ;)

--