Single drive versus RAID1

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 20 20:55:45 UTC 2003

RAID 1 will somewhat (slightly) slow write times but this can be largly
compensated for by putting each drive on seperate controllers. Read
times can be as much as (theoretically) doubled because reads can happen
from either drive. Extra cost in the second drive may or may not be an
issue. Slight increase in CPU usage if you don't use a dedicated RAID
controller.

All in all, I don't build a server without at least RAID 1. It is a very
inexpensive way to maintain up-time in the case of a dive failure but
you are right, it certainly IS NOT a replacement to tape backups.

If you would like, I have the text from a talk on RAID (and IDE/SCSI)
that I gave to TLUG some time ago that covers a lot of the pros and cons
to various RAID levels.

Madison