Sympatico smtp

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 18 14:54:30 UTC 2003

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 10:19:04 -0400
Fraser Campbell <fraser-Txk5XLRqZ6CsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org> uttered:

> > I was told by Sympatico that the email servers were bogged down by
> > rampant email viruses, causing,
> > essentially an indirect  DOS attack.
>
> Nice to hear of honesty from the tech support people.  There's an
> article in the Toronto Star about it this morning, it's online as
> well:

This article is missing one very important point, of course:

mentioning that Microsoft Windows is the *primary* operating system
responsible for this avalanche of garbage.

The journalist points out only in passing that computer users should
keep their systems up to date with "the latest Microsoft Windows
security patches", never once identifying that there might be other
alternatives. What about Mac users? What about Linux users? Nary a word.

I sent a brief note highlighting this point to the author, I think it
would be nice if more people did this, at least to increase the chances
of the relevant info getting out there in publications such as the Star.

Thanks for the link!

--
JoeHill
Registered Linux user #282046