pure microshit

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 18 14:18:51 UTC 2003

On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 06:50:37PM -0400, Ralph Doncaster wrote
> On Fri, 17 Oct 2003, Peter L. Peres wrote:
>
> > into rom. To stay on topic, what (fpga) will Linux be running on by then ?
>
> I don't see any smileys here, so I'm going to assume you're serious.
> If you are serious, you don't have a clue.  All of windows will
> never fit in rom, and even kernel.exe is a squeeze.

  OK, step into a time machine (gedanken experiment), and go back 10
years to 1993.  Tell computer-literate people about 512 megs or even 1
gig of *RAM* available on machines from the corner computer store.  And
if you really wanted a one-way ticket to the funny farm, tell them about
*VIDEO CARDS* with 128 megs of RAM.  Who says the ROM has to be just a
few hundred K ?

  Actually, Palladium (or whatever nom-du-jour MS has given it today)
only needs the hardware to checksum/check-signature of the boot-code
(roughly equivalant to vmlinuz in /boot).  The boot code would then
check the rest of the OS before loading it.  The OS would in turn check
all files (including programs) before loading them.

Email users are divided into two classes;
1) Those who have effective spam-blocking
2) Those who wish they did