Sympatico smtp

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 18 14:15:16 UTC 2003

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 09:46:04 -0400
Fraser Campbell <fraser-Txk5XLRqZ6CsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org> uttered:

> > This in addition to their port 25 filtering, is one reason I try and
> > stay away from Sympatico, it at all posssible.
>
> Personally I think it's irresponsible for a residential ISP to not
> block smtp. Now whether they actually have monitoring in place to take
> advantage of their capabilities for stopping spam and virus spread is
> another question.

But what about those of us who want to run our own mail servers and are
willing to take the time to learn how to be responsible and secure in
doing so? This is one of the reasons I want to switch, so that I can
run my own servers and learn by *doing*.

I think a certain amount of balance could be achieved by a cooperative
relationship between the ISP and the client, insofar as an agreement
like:

"Yes, we will allow you to run this server, but three strikes and yer
out."

Combine this with knowledgeable support on the part of the ISP and
I really think you would have win-win situation.

--
JoeHill
Registered Linux user #282046