Troubles with MD5SUM

Jing Su jingsu-26n5VD7DAF2Tm46uYYfjYg at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 17 19:10:42 UTC 2003

> > Jim Ruxton wrote:
> >
> >> I'm trying to verify rh9 .isos on cds I've burned but I keep getting
> >> I/O errors or it just doesn't finish. I've downloaded them from RH's
> >> ftp server and checking them on my harddrive they are fine. Any ideas
> >> why I would have trouble with md5sum on CDs? I'm doing :
> >> md5sum /dev/cdrom

Maybe an alternative is to "rip" the CD back into an ISO image file on
your HD and run the MD5 on that?  If there is an error on the burned CD,
this should catch it.  It's a little wasteful of space and time, but since
you're having trouble getting it to work directly on the CD anyways this
might be worth a try.